Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

We spent this Father's Day looking forward instead of looking back.

I knew I would get up before Ry (because the poor thing has that horrid route now, plus he got himself stuck in the mud) on Sunday, so I planned to make breakfast for him for Father's Day. I went to WalMart and got some cinnamon rolls. So, on Sunday I got up, popped the cinnamon rolls in the oven, made the fruit salad, and scrambled and cooked the eggs. I made two plates and went upstairs to wake him up, and serve him. I don't think he was thrilled about my waking him up. I hope he liked it. I like to do kind things for him on occasion. :) Even though he's not a dad yet...we're looking forward.

Father's Day can't pass without me thinking about my own Dad. On the 4th of July, we will celebrate Dad's ten-year anniversary with Jesus. When dad died, it seemed like we'd never get to this point--ten years out. I couldn't imagine all that would take place between then and now. I couldn't imagine that car accident that would knock me out of commission for 5 months. I couldn't imagine going to college and meeting amazing young women would become my good friends for life. Losing Grandpa, John, and Bill. Graduating from college, several moves, meeting and marrying my husband. Surgeries. Tears. Hurts. Laughter. Faith. Hope. And above all, love. These are the waves I've ridden for the last decade. I won't say that it's been a piece of cake. There were days, months, and years, where I thought I couldn't continue. Praise be to God, He wrapped his ever-loving arms around me, picked me up and carried me through.

My dad was larger than life. Looking back, he was my hero. I loved spending time with him. We went fishing, went on vacations, camping, and spend time at Grandma and Grandpa's. He taught me so much through his life, his illness, and his death. I miss him, but I know where he is, and I am assured through God's Word that I will see him again. I can't wait to praise Jesus with my dad. I hold his memory close in my heart, and I hope I can be half the parent he was. The was a believer in the fact that quantity time = quality time, when it comes to family. And I couldn't agree more.

My father's passing gave me the opportunity to become closer to other men in my life. My uncles, whether it was a conscious decision for them or not, stepped in to fill the void that was left. They came to my college graduation, gave me hugs, told me they loved me, joked with me, and gave me away at my wedding. I am so grateful for them, and their tender hearts, caring hearts.

So, I got my copy of "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" in the mail today. Maybe we can make Ryan a daddy by next June. We'll have to see.

Happy (belated) Father's Day, all you dads out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment